Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

For the last year God has really drawn my heart to celebrate and live by the Church Calendar; Jonathan and I had such a rich Advent season doing this. There is SO much to learn and glean from these seasons and days that -- having grown up in the non-denominational realm -- I know little of. I've heard of days like: Advent, Epiphany, Ash Wednesday (TODAY!), Shrove Tuesday, Passover, etc. Being introduced to the Anglican Church, and also becoming great friends with a Spiritual Director, has opened my eyes to new and rich ways to worship God. It feels like a hunger is growing in my heart for this. It is beautiful. It feels like Life to my religious-weary soul. I am SO drawn here.

So, today is Ash Wednesday. I remember when I was a little girl in Lutheran school and we would 'celebrate' Ash Wednesday. I honestly do not remember much about the day itself or it's significance. I do, however, remember walking up to the front of the beautiful church where I attended school, having the Pastor dip his cool finger into the ashes made from last year's palm branches, and with those deep black ashes draw cross upon my forehead. We would wear the cross for the remainder of the day to remind us all that it was, indeed, Ash Wednedsay.

Now I am no expert on the church calendar year, but I do know that Ash Wednesday ushers in the 40 days of Lent. The 40 days leading up to the day that Jesus is raised from the dead on Easter Sunday. 40 days to prepare our hearts for something that changed EVERYTHING for us as Believers in Jesus. How do you prepare your heart for this? That is the quesion I'm asking God. I so want a deeper revelation of Him during Lent this year.

Lent is a season of fasting, of doing without. (Every Sunday is a 'feast' day where you can partake of whatever it is you are fasting from). It could be fasting from a food such as meat or sweets. It could be fasting from television or texting. It could be fasting from a behavior. I think it can also be adding something to your life, such as sending a an encouraging note to someone each day or giving in a charitable way each of the 40 days. Maybe taking 30 minutes of silence each of the 40 days or having an hour of silence in your home each evening ... the list in endless.

So, I'm asking God what it is He wants me to fast from this Lent season. I've been asking Him for about a week and especially today as I drove the 1 1/2 hour drive up to Denver.

Chris Webb, President of Revovare says that Lent is, "a time of repentance, an opportunity to experience the mercy of God, to be set free from past patterns of behavior, and to embrace a life of joyful holiness."

So, the thing that I abstain from or add to my life this season is meant to draw me to God. How beautiful. How rich. How amazing.

May this season of Lent bring us all to new levels of intimacy with God.

2 comments:

  1. I feel encouraged, and relieved as I read your post. I get so confused during these times of "fasting" and whether or not I should partake. Half of me feels like it's just another goal to obtain, and half of me feels like I just do it because that's what you are supposed to do. Since we didn't grow up doing this, it feels like it's not a part of who I am, you know? But yea, I'll be praying about this today.. asking God if there might be something to give up.

    To me, I don't want it to be food, or exercise, or blah blah blah. I want it to edify me in a more holy way. Thanks sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely, Nin. I get so tired of fasts that are actually self-indulgent ... in that you are gaining something other then intimacy with God in it. Does that make sense? I also want my Lenton 'fast' to draw me to Him, not put more emphasis on myself; more holiness as you stated above.

    I know of someone who is, instead of giving something up, DOING something kind each day of Lent for someone in need. How her eyes will be opened to search for the need to fill! How cool. She is wanting to take the focus off of herself and put it on others and God. I love that!

    I love your heart!

    ReplyDelete