Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Somethin' to say

Words are so powerful aren't they? I love words. I love reading books. I love watching movies. I love music. I love talking over tea with a best friend. I love when I get to tell people what they mean to me. I love when God speaks to me. I even love the silence and how much that speaks to my heart as well -- "wordless" space says a lot doesn't it?

Lately I have felt at a loss for words, or so the saying goes. Thus, the reason for my ONE blog in the month of January. What is up with that? I thought the whole point of me having a blog was to ... drum role, please ... WRITE!

But I haven't been.

I recently told my friend, who is a writer by profession, that my writing well is completely dry. Now, this particular friend knows me VERY well. She sees my heart more then most and she can see below the surface to my soul and longings. So after I told her about my parched state, she kindly emailed me back these words, "An empty writing well? I don’t believe you. I am going to pray that the Giver of all creativity fills you right back up."

Just the sort of reminder I needed ...

God is Creator. He created everything and lives in a constant state of creativity. He bestowed us with creativity when He made us in His image. Creativity is a gift that He lavishly wants to bestow upon me today. REmember Jesus' words:

"Don't bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need... If your little boy asks for a serving of fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? If your little girl asks for an egg, do you trick her with a spider? As bad as you are, you wouldn't think of such a thing—you're at least decent to your own children. And don't you think the Father who conceived you in love will give the Holy Spirit when you ask him?" (Luke 11:11-13)

Right. God loves me. God only gives good gifts. He is kind and generous. I can come to Him with anything. How often I forget these things.

***************

I think that I also need to dive into what has kept me quiet lately. I don't want to miss what my heart is saying, or needing to say. So often we breeze through seasons and do not tune into their messages. I don't want that to happen here.

I feel very quiet in my soul at the present moment. I think that quietness is beautiful and OK; needed even. When times of stress and trial come, sometimes we need to go inward and let the soul rest. That is mostly what this last month has been about. Mostly ...

Do you allow for times of silence? Space in your day, week, month and year to simply BE. We need more of this. We just do.

So, let's go back to what started this blog in the first place -- my love for words. What does silence need SAY to you today? Sometimes the most profound 'words' come from saying nothing. Let the soul speak ...

No comments:

Post a Comment