Monday, February 22, 2010

if i could write music ...

I've been listening to a song over and over today. Do you do that? You buy a new song on itunes and it's all you want to listen to. Over and over. Something in it speaks to you. Loudly. Profoundly. It voices words you cannot. It raises harmonies that you can't yet sing. It draws your heart, your soul, your very essence.

This is why I love music. I think this is why we have music. Why it was gifted to us. It quite literally moves the soul.

I first heard the song, "This Woman's Work" while watching two amazing (AMAZING) artists dance to it on a tv show. Tears poured from my eyes as I watched them put motions and movements to the song. It is a song of Love and Loss. Pain and Heartache. Strength and Beauty. Passion and Desire. My husband was equally moved and we watched the dance several times that evening. However, I since then forgot about it.

Until today.

I thought of the song and dance randomly and downloaded the song from itunes. Little did I know how deeply it would move my heart; especially the following lyrics:

I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

I should be crying but I just can't let it show.
I should be hoping but I can't stop thinking.


Wow. When you hear these words with the music I believe your soul will stir as mine did.

See, we all have some area of our life where these words ring true. I know I do. Some days, like today, I feel such hopelessness. Such utter desire to give up, let go, stop hoping for more. It is so difficult to talk about, to feel understood or even want to share what it is I'm feeling.

Does this ring true for you?

So, what is it in your life that you've given up on? What feels too hard? Have you given up in some area?

I am positive that there are areas in each person's life where they have let go of hope and desire. Tune into it. Give life to it again. These words are for you today, my friends. They are also for me...

I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

(Song: "This Woman's Work," sung by Greg Laswell)

1 comment:

  1. just downloaded the song! can't wait to listen to it today while i work!!

    ReplyDelete